- Ukraine only allows married couples to pursue adoption
- Parents must be at least 25 years old and have no less than 15 years difference between parents and child
Travel and Time Frame
Adopting from Ukraine can be a one or two step process depending on parents preference. The one trip option is approximately 5-6 weeks. For the second trip, the first trip will be 3-4 weeks, and the second will be 1-2 weeks.
The time between referral acceptance and adoption finalization is approximately 5-6 weeks.
- Apply to Children’s House International’s Ukraine Program
- Complete the Home Study Process with a CHI Social Worker or a Local Hague Accredited Social Worker
- Submit Approved Home Study
- Apply for I-600A Approval from USCIS
- Compile your dossier for Ukraine
- Obtain authentication for dossier documents
- Your completed dossier will be sent to Ukraine for translation. It will then be submitted to the DFC (Ukrainian Central Authority) for their review and approval, after which they will set an appointment date. It will take 3-12 months between dossier submission and the DFC appointment date.
- The DFC’s appointment is an interview and a receipt of a referral. Families will travel to Kyiv and receive a referral from the State Department for Adoption. You will be issued a letter of referral to allow you to visit the orphanage to meet and establish contact with the child and check their medical records. The DFC will only allow three appointments to each adoptive family to look at the children’s files.
- Once referral is received, the file for the case is presented to the judge in the jurisdiction that the child resides. The power to approve or deny an adoption lies solely with the judge. Adoptive parents must attend this court hearing.
- Once the adoption is finalized in the Ukraine, the family will attend the necessary appointments at the U.S. Embassy to receive a U.S. visa for your child.
- After the embassy issues the child’s visa, the family is allowed to travel home!
To view Ukraine program fees and other costs, click here.